Butterfly holiday Bulgaria
Discover Strandja's Butterflies
Strandja is Bulgaria's largest nature park where more than 120 different habitat types occur. Traditional, low intensive farming is still widely used in Strandja. This means that the natural grasslands are full of wild flowers and suppport a very rich insect fauna.
Especially the abundance of butterflies that you can see here is amazing. It is possible to see more than 30 species in one single meadow. Because so many individuals fly at the same time, there are almost always perfect individuals on the wing for those perfect photos. Strandja is great for butterfly photography.
Strandja is also ideal for people who just start out in butterflies, or who enjoy identifying butterflies in the field and honing their skills. There is so much to see and identify, you can easily spend a whole day in one single meadow, photographing and identifying what you see.
In the different parts of Strandja, you will find different types of habitats and different kinds of species. To get the most out of your holiday to Strandja, we advise you to rent a car so that you can easily travel around. By changing accommodation every few days you can confortably explore the different parts of the park.
In the example butterfly holiday below you will discover the most beautiful spots in Strandja with our walk descriptions, encountering clouds of butterflies along the way.
Of course it is also possible to include for example a visit to the Burgas Lakes, Bulgaria's largest wetland complex and a paradise for birdwatchers, in your holiday.
Please don't hesitate to contact us to discuss the many possibilities.
Butterfly holiday Bulgaria
Butterfly holiday information pack
€96.- plus postage and packing
Best time of year
In partnership with
What species can I see?
Some of the butterfly species you can see here include:
Eastern Baton Blue (Pseudophilotes vicrama), Large Blue (Maculinea arion), Meleager’s Blue (Polyommatus daphnis), Blue Argus (Ultraaricia anteros), Lang’s Short-tailed Blue (Leptotes pirithous), Eastern Short-tailed Blue (Cupido decolorata), Grecian copper (Lycaena ottomamus), Ilex Hairstreak (Satyrium ilicis), Nettle-tree Butterfly (Libythea celtis), Cardinal (Argynnis Pandora), Lesser Spotted Fritillary (Melitaea trivia), Twin Spot Fritillary (Brenthis Hecate), Camberwell beauty (Nymphalis antiopa), Large Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis polychloros), Freyer’s Purple Emperor (Apatura metis), Eastern Rock Grayling (Hipparchia syriaca), Lattice Brown (Kirinia roxelana). Eastern Festoon (Zerynthia cerisy).
If you are also interested in other flora or fauna groups, please contact us for more information about what you can see in Strandja.
Why a Strandja butterfly holiday?
- Strandja is Bulgaria's largest and most varied protected area. More than 120 different habitat types occur here, including old en young forest, wet grasslands and marshes, coastal grasslands and cliffs, dunes, natural river systems, species-rich grassland and karts (limestone) landscapes. As a result of the variation in habitats and landscapes, the butterfly fauna is also very varied.
- The location of Strandja at the crossroads of two continents, Europe en Azia means you can see many unfamiliar species here, for example Eastern Baton Blue (Pseudophilotes vicrama), Greccian Copper (Lycaena ottomamus) and Blue Argus (Ultraaricia anteros).
- The low human influence. Only very few people live in Strandja. Low intensive farming is practiced, without the use of pesticides and fertilizers. Strandja's grasslands are still a colourful mosaic of wild flowers and butterflies. In a few places it is even possible to count almost 40 species in one meadow!
- Also Fritillary butterflies, such as Marsh Fritillary, Marbled Fritillary, Cardinal, Heath Fritillary, High Brown Fritillary, Large Tortoiseshell and several skipper species are still widespread. This is ideal for people who are starting out with butterflies, or people who enjoy identifying butterflies. There is so much to see and identify, you can easily spend a whole day in one single meadow, taking photos and identifying what you see. And it all starts as soon as you step out of the door of your accommodation address.
- With our advice and directions you can discover Strandja's rich butterfly fauna at your own relaxed pace. Our walk and route descriptions will bring you to the most beautiful spots.
- By recording what you see during your holiday in Strandja, and sharing the data, you help to conserve one of Europe’s most important wildlife sites.
- We also have a moth trap (with a lamp to catch live moths and to set them free unharmed after identification), so if you are interested in moths you can use it during your stay in Strandja.
- Our help and advice lets you confidently and comfortably explore a great birdwatching destination that very few people know about.
Species-rich grasslands with many butterflies are found everywhere in Strandja.
What would it cost?
Prices of accommodation and car rental vary according to the season. For a Butterfly holiday we would recommend the months May and June. Costs are of course completely dependent on how long you decide to stay, your choice of accommodation and rental car. Below we give you an example of prices:
- Accommodation - from €12.50 per person per night
- Car rental - from €19 per day
- Information pack Strandja butterfly holiday - €96 plus postage and packing (the price of each information pack includes a donation to the Bulgarian Biodiversity Foundation).
What more we can help you with
In addition to sending out the information pack, we can help you further to make your Butterfly holiday to Strandja as enjoyable and relaxing as possible. We can recommend a tailormade programme for your Butterfly holiday based on your interests and wishes. We can recommend accommodation based on our extensive knowledge of places to stay in the area, and also recommend a reliable car rental company that will have your car waiting for you at the airport when you arrive. Please contact us for more information on what we can do to help you.
What do others say?
“Near Mladezhko, in a pasture as big as two football fields, we did not only see 43 species, but thousands of individuals. And with species like Large Blue, Eastern Baton Blue, Meleager’s Blue, Blue Argus, Lang’s Short-tailed Blue, Eastern Short-tailed Blue, Grecian copper, Ilex Hairstreak, Nettle-tree Butterfly, Cardinal, Camberwell beauty, Large Tortoiseshell, Freyer’s Purple Emperor, Eastern Rock Grayling, Lattice Brown and ten different kinds of skippers you can’t complain at all!
And then there are the very many birds, tortoises and reptiles. And the ancient culture. And the splendid Black Sea. Yes, it was a great holiday. We won’t forget it soon.
Anja and Dave, thanks a lot!
Read the full review in our Guestbook
Arthur & Mireille, the Netherlands
Do you want to know more about Strandja or advice about a butterfly holiday to this part of Bulgaria? Please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +359 590 99 002
Butterfly holiday enquiry form
(fields marked * are required)
|Day 1||Arrival in Bulgaria, receive your rental car and drive to your first accommodation.|
|Day 2||Walk through wooded canyon to the source of a river. Karts landscape with limestone grasslands, small caves, springs and underground rivers. In the afternoon a visit to architectural reserve Brushlian. Walk through diverse species-rich grassland and a vist to a traditional Strandja house (optional).|
|Day 3||Visit to historical location in Strandja with beautiful views over Strandja and the river in the valley below. Walk through a species-rich grassland to a river valley. Wide views to Turkey.|
|Day 4||Walk through a stunning varied landscape with species-rich dry and wet grasslands to the point where the three Strandja rivers merge.|
|Day 5||Drive to the next accommodation village. On the way, possibility of walk through river valley, and various stops to explore grasslands and its butterflies. Short walk from accommodation address through beautiful landscape to old oaks that are known as the 14 brothers.|
|Day 6||Visit a small Bulgarian village and nature reserve with relict plant communities from before the ice ages. Explore grasslands around the village.|
|Day 7||Stunning round walk along the Veleka river. Small waterfall, springs, a small chapel, and of course species-rich grasslands in the river valley.|
|Day 8||Walking around the natural estuary of the Veleka river; dunes, wet grasslands, the beach and coastal cliffs.|
|Day 9||Visit to a coastal nature reserve with stunning coastal flora and vulcanic rock formations.|
|Day 10||Departure day|
More about hotels and guesthouses in Strandja Nature Park.
Information on renting a car during your holiday in Bulgaria.
Information on travelling to Strandja in Bulgaria.
More about a holiday in Strandja with a group.
More information about what you can see and do in Strandja.
Walks and excursions
More info on walks and excursions in Strandja.
Some practical things to help you plan your holiday to Bulgaria.
Yellow-banded Skipper - Pyrgus sidae in Strandja.