Nature and Culture holiday
The best of Strandja
Hidden away in an inaccessible border zone for 50 years, Strandja offers an extraordinary window to the past.
In this part of Bulgaria, you can still experience the rural way of life of a hundred years ago. The Strandja people have continued their cultural traditions, and nature here is still unspoilt and abundant.
How about a visit to a traditional Strandja house where the owner can tell you all about the life of the Strandja people 100 years ago? A walk through a lush river valley visiting a chapel, waterfall and spring along the way? A day exploring Strandja’s spectacular coast, quiet beaches and cliffs full of wildflowers? Or a day exploring an ancient Greek coastal town with beautiful wooden houses?
With our advice and walk descriptions you can explore the little-known Strandja Mountains confidently and comfortably. The example nature and culture holiday itinerary below combines some of the best walking, nature and culture Strandja has to offer.
The Strandja Mountains are large and varied area. To get the most out of your holiday we recommend you rent a car so you can travel around easily and stay in different parts of the area. You could spend time exploring from a single guesthouse or hotel, moving on to the next accommodation every few days.
Nature & Culture Bulgaria
Nature & Culture holiday info pack
€96.- plus postage and packing
Best time of year
In partnership with
Why a Strandja nature & culture holiday?
- In Strandja, folklore and cultural traditions are still going strong. They are linked to the all surrounding wild nature. During your stay in Strandja you will see evidence of this all around you. Traces of ancient civilisations, pagan and orthodox religious rituals, and customs in everyday life.
- Strandja’s landscape is varied and offers many walking opportunities. During a holiday in Strandja you’ll see the landscape change. From higher more open landscapes in the West, via lush river valleys to the Black Sea coast in the East.
- In Strandja you can experience true peace and quiet. Strandja is the size of London, but only 7000 people live here. That includes the coastal settlements!
- Strandja’s rich wildlife will amaze you. There will be many surprises during your walks; orchids, colourful fungi, rare and impressive birds...
- During your stay in and walks around small villages you’ll experience a different pace and way of life. Sometimes you will feel like you are walking in a living rural museum.
- Strandja offers you the wonderful combination of mountains, rivers, and the Black Sea.
- With our walk descriptions, background information and mapping you can explore Strandja at your own pace. And still get to all the special places that only locals know about. .
Taking pictures of flowers and butterflies during a nature and culture holiday.
What would it cost?
Prices of accommodation and car rental vary according to the season. For a Nature & Culture holiday we would recommend the months April, May and June and September and October. Costs are of course completely dependent on how long you decide to stay, your choice of accommodation and rental car. Below we give you an example of prices:
- Accommodation - from €12.50 per person per night
- Car rental - from €19 per day
- Information pack Strandja Nature & Culture holiday - €96 plus postage and packing (the price of each information pack includes a donation to the Bulgarian Biodiversity Foundation).
What more we can help you with
In addition to sending out the information pack, we can help you further to make your Nature & Culture holiday to Strandja as enjoyable and relaxing as possible. We can recommend a tailormade programme for your Nature & Culture holiday based on your interests and wishes. We can recommend accommodation based on our extensive knowledge of places to stay in the area, and also recommend a reliable car rental company that will have your car waiting for you at the airport when you arrive. Please contact us for more information on what we can do to help you.
What do others say?
“Already, Bulgaria seems like a long time ago, but fond memories come back again and again. My strongest impressions were the timeless feeling you have here, and all the moments when the nature was all around you. With every step there was something new to see, hear, feel or smell. It was amazing; simply pure joy. Relaxed travelling with clear directions and maps. We no longer felt a “stranger” in the area and got to know all the most beautiful places”
René van Heerde, the Netherlands
“We have fond memories of the atmosphere in the villages. The peace, the livestock wandering about the village, wood chopping for the winter, jam making in the open air, the rising moon…”
Theo Zeldenrust, the Netherlands
Do you want to know more about Strandja or advice about a nature and culture holiday to this part of Bulgaria? Please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +359 590 99 002
Nature and culture holiday enquiry form
(fields marked * are required)
|Day 1||Travel to Bulgaria. Receive your rental car and drive to your first accommodation.|
|Day 2||Visit rebels' meeting place Petrova Niva and walk to the meeting place of the 3 main rivers in Strandja Nature Park.|
|Day 3||A day exploring the oldest village in the Strandja Mountains. Go to a waterfall, springs, chapels, and wide panoramas over Strandja.|
|Day 4||Excursion to a Thracian sanctuary deep in the forest in a border zone. In the afternoon a trip to a Bulgarian architectural reserve in Strandja.|
|Day 5||Exploring one of the smallest villages in Strandja in the morning and a nature reserve with relict species in the afternoon.|
|Day 6||Walk through the beautiful valley of the Veleka River, one of the cleanest rivers in Eastern Europe.|
|Day 7||Follow one of the prettiest coast paths on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. Volcanic in origin and full of wild flowers.|
|Day 8||Explore the natural estuary of the Veleka estuary, followed by a visit to a quiet unspoilt beach in a nature reserve and a fascinating Thracian rock sanctuary.|
|Day 9||A day at the ancient Greek port Sozopol. Traditional wooden Greek houses, a small harbour, museums, art galleries, and restaurants with views over the Black Sea.|
|Day 10||Departure day|
A Strandja village scene.
More about hotels and guesthouses in Strandja Nature Park.
Information on renting a car during your holiday in Bulgaria.
Information on travelling to Strandja in Bulgaria.
More about a holiday in Strandja with a group.
More information about what you can see and do in Strandja.
Walks and excursions
More info on walks and excursions in Strandja.
Some practical things to help you plan your holiday to Bulgaria.