Nature holiday Bulgaria
Strandja’s wildlife and landscapes
Because Strandja is Bulgaria’s largest and most varied nature park, there is a lot to see here. A good idea for a nature holiday to Strandja is to make a tour of Strandja’s most impressive landscapes and habitats.
In the example holiday below you start in the west where many of Strandja's rivers rise from a karst landscape. You'll then gradually make your way through woodlands and river valleys, to the Strandja Black Sea Coast.
Whether you love birdwatching, butterflies, orchids, fungi or reptiles, we can give you advice and help to ensure your tailor-made tour through strandja brings you to the right places.
With an area the size of London there is a lot to see in Strandja Nature Park. We recommend you rent a car to get the most from a nature holiday here. This way you can travel around easily and by going to a different base every few days you can experience a number of areas in this part of Bulgaria.
Nature holiday Bulgaria
Nature holiday information pack
€96.- plus postage and packing
Best time of year
In partnership with
Why a Strandja nature holiday?
There are several reasons why Strandja is a great holiday destination if you love wildlife. The main ones are:
- Strandja is a living museum. Almost the whole territory of Strandja is a refuge for relict species and communities from past geological times.
- Strandja lies at the crossroad of two continents, Europe and Asia. This means the flora and fauna is an interesting mix, and you will see many unfamiliar species here.
- The Via Pontica bird migration route runs right over the park. During bird migration in spring and autumn, Strandja is a birdwatchers' paradise.
- Strandja consists of intact natural landscapes. Almost nowhere in Europe can you follow a completely intact river system from the source to the estuary, see the landscape change along the way, and enjoy the abundant wildlife that comes with such a natural system.
- Low human influence. Only very few people live in Strandja, and they still use traditional farming methods. This means that Strandja's grasslands are still full of wildflowers and butterflies, and the river valleys and woodlands are the home of rare mammals and birds.
- Very close to Strandja lies Bulgaria's most important wetland complex, the Burgas lakes, and Ropotamo reserve, a paradise for birdwatchers. By adding a few days to your holiday, you can also visit Mazdharovo, a famous vulture conservation centre in the Rhodophi mountains.
Plough-share Serapias - Serapias vomeracea, flowering along the Strandja coast.
What would it cost?
Prices of accommodation and car rental vary according to the season. For a nature holiday we would recommend the months April to June and mid August to October. Costs are of course completely dependent on how long you decide to stay, your choice of accommodation and rental car. Below we give you an example of prices:
- Accommodation - from €12.50 per person per night
- Car rental - from €19 per day
- Information pack Strandja Nature holiday - €96 plus postage and packing (the price of each information pack includes a donation to the Bulgarian Biodiversity Foundation).
What more we can help you with
In addition to sending out the information pack, we can help you further to make your Nature holiday to Strandja as enjoyable and relaxing as possible. We can recommend a tailormade programme for your Nature holiday based on your interests and wishes. We can recommend accommodation based on our extensive knowledge of places to stay in the area, and also recommend a reliable car rental company that will have your car waiting for you at the airport when you arrive. Please contact us for more information on what we can do to help you.
What do others say?
“Put quite simply, Strandja is stunning. The main draw for us were the opportunities for seeing wildlife, and we weren’t disappointed. Butterflies coming out of our ears….reptiles galore.…fields that literally come to life with grasshoppers when you walk into them….watching bats swooping over sand dunes to the loudest chorus of frog song you’ve ever heard! It’s also pretty impressive when the commonest birds you’re hearing are nightingales…
Read the full review in our Guestbook
Julie Danby and Antony Mould, UK
Do you want to know more about Strandja or advice about a nature holiday to this part of Bulgaria? Please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +359 590 99 002
Nature holiday enquiry form
(fields marked * are required)
|Day 1||Arrival in Bulgaria, receive your rental car and drive to your first accommodation.|
|Day 2||Walk through colourful meadows, full of wildlife, to a ford in the Veleka River. Drive along a ridge with species-rich meadows to a historic point with wide views. Walk to the river valley below.|
|Day 3||Woodland walk in a river canyon. Karst landscape with many small caves, springs and underground rivers. Wide panoramic views on Strandja.|
|Day 4||Walk through species rich meadows and river plains to meeting point of Strandja's three natural rivers.|
|Day 5||Visit to small Bulgarian village and nature reserve with relict species from before the ice ages.|
|Day 6||Walk through the valley of one of Europe's most unspoilt rivers, floodplain meadows, woodland, waterfall.|
|Day 7||Visit to coastal nature reserve with spectacular coastal flora and volcanic rocks.|
|Day 8||Wild estuary, dunes and beach and see flood-plain forests unique in Europe.|
|Day 9||Trip to Burgas lakes birding paradise, Bulgaria’s largest and most important wetland area.|
|Day 10||Departure day|
Double lilac primrose, one of many plants you could see during your nature holiday to Bulgaria
More about hotels and guesthouses in Strandja Nature Park.
Information on renting a car during your holiday in Bulgaria.
Information on travelling to Strandja in Bulgaria.
More about a holiday in Strandja with a group.
More information about what you can see and do in Strandja.
Walks and excursions
More info on walks and excursions in Strandja.
Some practical things to help you plan your holiday to Bulgaria.