Walking holiday Bulgaria
Explore Strandja on foot
Strandja’s friendly rolling hills offer relaxed walking in a wide variety of landscape types.
With our walk descriptions you will find your way to dramatic karst landscapes, age-old woodlands, picturesque villages, lush river valleys, beautiful coastal landscapes and quiet beaches.
Both spring and autumn are wonderful seasons for a walking holiday to Strandja. In spring Strandja is lush and green, with flowering orchards, colourful meadows and incredible birdsong. In the late summer and autumn you'll enjoy the changing colours of the woodlands, a rich variety of mushrooms in the forest, and the sea water temperature is still pleasant too.
In the example walking holiday below the itinerary takes you on a journey following a natural Strandja river from its source to where it meets the Black sea.
Strandja is a large and varied nature park. To get the most out of your holiday we advise you to rent a car so you can travel around easily and stay in different parts of the area. You could spend time exploring from a single guesthouse or hotel, moving on to the next accommodation every few days.
Walking holiday Bulgaria
Walking holiday information pack
€96.- plus postage and packing
Best time of year
In partnership with
Why a Strandja walking holiday?
There are several reasons why Strandja is a great walking holiday destination. The main ones are:
- Strandja offers relaxed walking. The relief is friendly; ascents and descents during walks are typically short. The walks allow plenty of time for leisurely picnics and breaks.
- Strandja’s landscape is varied. During a walking holiday you will see the landscape change; from higher more open landscapes in the west, via lush river valleys to the beautiful Strandja coast.
- In Strandja you can experience true peace and quiet. Strandja is the size of London, but only 7000 people live here. That includes the coastal settlements!
- Strandja’s rich wildlife will amaze you. There will be many surprises during your walks; orchids, colourful fungi, rare and impressive birds...
- During your stay in and walks around small villages you will experience a different culture and way of life. Sometimes you will feel like you are walking in a living rural museum.
- With our walk descriptions, background information and mapping you can explore Strandja at your own pace. And still get to all the special places that only locals know about.
- Our help and advice lets you confidently and comfortably discover a new destination that very few people know about.
Walking along Strandja's Black Sea coast.
What would it cost?
Prices of accommodation and car rental vary according to the season. For a walking holiday we would recommend the months April to June and September to October. Costs are of course completely dependent on how long you decide to stay, your choice of accommodation and rental car. Below we give you an example of prices:
- Accommodation - from €12.50 per person per night
- Car rental - from €19 per day
- Information pack Strandja walking holiday - €96 plus postage and packing (the price of each information pack includes a donation to the Bulgarian Biodiversity Foundation).
What more we can help you with
In addition to sending out the information pack, we can help you further to make your walking holiday to Strandja as enjoyable and relaxing as possible. We can recommend a tailormade programme for your holiday based on your interests and wishes. We can recommend accommodation based on our extensive knowledge of places to stay in the area, and also recommend a reliable car rental company that will have your car waiting for you at the airport when you arrive. Please contact us for more information on what we can do to help you.
What do others say?
“Wild rivers, old oak forest, species-rich meadows, beautiful orchids, butterflies, and many birds, that was Strandja for us. We visited Strandja Nature Park in May for 11 days. Anja and Dave have prepared a wide range of walk descriptions. For example along the Veleka River, the volcanic coast of the Black Sea, and through beautiful old-growth forests. Nature in this part of Bulgaria is still very beautiful and unspoilt. Time has literally stood still in the Strandja Mountains. We stayed in B&Bs in small villages. The hospitality and warm contact with the Bulgarians was a very special experience. We’ll definitely come back!
Read the full review in our Guestbook
Hanneke Oudega and Arjen Goutbeek, the Netherlands
Do you want to know more about Strandja or advice about a walking holiday to this part of Bulgaria? Please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +359 590 99 002
Walking holiday enquiry form
(fields marked * are required)
|Day 1||Travel to Bulgaria and transfer to your hotel or B&B.|
|Day 2||Woodland walk to the source of Mladezhko River, and the remains of fortress. Visit to rebel's meeting place Petrova Niva from where there are beautiful views over the Strandja mountains.|
|Day 3||Walking around one of the oldest villages in Strandja Nature Park. Roundwalk to the meeting place of 3 main rivers in Strandja.|
|Day 4||Visit a living museum, a type of woodland that has survived from before the ice ages. Walk to the 14 brothers, large impressive oak trees.|
|Day 5||Beautiful roundwalk following river Veleka. Highlights: small waterfall, several springs, small chapel in the forest with religious icons and resting place.|
|Day 6||Explore the Veleka estuary or follow the river inland from the sea. Explore two beaches.|
|Day 7||Bulgarian Black Sea coast. Walk over spectacular coast path, past quiet beaches and volcanic rock cliffs to coastal nature reserve.|
|Day 8||Walk in Ropotamo nature reserve through dune habitats or visit an ancient rock sanctuary and walk to a quiet bay.|
|Day 9||Spend a day in the coastal town of Sozopol with its ancient cobbled streets and wooden houses and have dinner in one of the many restaurants. Or visit the Burgas lakes wetlands.|
|Day 10||Departure day|
Walking through Strandja you'll be amazed by the area’s rich wildlife.
More about hotels and guesthouses in Strandja Nature Park.
Information on renting a car during your holiday in Bulgaria.
Information on travelling to Strandja in Bulgaria.
More about a holiday in Strandja with a group.
More information about what you can see and do in Strandja.
Walks and excursions
More info on walks and excursions in Strandja.
Some practical things to help you plan your holiday to Bulgaria.